Chaotic Not Random
Wednesday, January 05, 2005

2005 SO FAR

  • Early Saturday morning, a good thing happened. I can't tell you what it was, though.

  • On Saturday evening, another good thing happened. I can't tell you what that was, either. I will say that it was similar to the first good thing, only different.

  • Also on Saturday, the Colorado Mammoth opened their 2005 National Lacrosse League season by handing a 12-7 drubbing to the hated Calgary Roughnecks, who upset Colorado in the Champion's Cup semifinals last year. Retiring Mammoth captain (and consensus greatest lacrosse player ever) Gary Gait led all scorers with three goals, and 2004 Goaltender of the Year Gee Nash shut out the Roughnecks in the fourth quarter, stuffing 19 shots on goal in front of 16,397 rowdy fans. Keep it rolling, Mammoth!

    The Negotiator and I took the train to the game. I took two homemade signs and my camera, with the intent of hanging the signs on the rail and taking photos of them from across the arena. We got off the train at the Pepsi Center, excited and happy to be going to the first lacrosse game of the season.

    The excitement and happiness quickly subsided, however, when I realized I had left my Kodak EasyShare CX6330 digital camera on the train.

    "Shit!" I said, frantically patting my pockets. "Shit!" I said again, to emphasize the point. I handed the signs to The Negotiator and ran back to the train, but it pulled away from the stop before I could reach the doors. I cut right and ran hard to the next stop at Union Station, where a very nice Regional Transportation District employee helped me search the train. No luck, no Kodak EasyShare CX6330 digital camera. Shit.

    I jogged back to the Pepsi Center, trying not to be pissed off over the loss of what was, after all, just an object. A fairly expensive and particularly useful object, yes, but still -- just an object. Tsunamis and perspective and all that. Besides, I was going to the Mammoth game!

    "Shit," I said.

    I got back to the arena, hung my signs on the rail, and yelled myself hoarse as the Mammoth took a 6-5 lead into halftime. Then somebody poked me in the shoulder. I looked over to see a woman standing at the end of the row, waving. Incredibly, she was holding my Kodak EasyShare CX6330 digital camera.

    "Thank you! Thank you so much!" I said, a little befuddled as I took my camera back. "How did you find me?"

    "I looked for the signs," she said.

    I hope we all learned a little something from this story. That is, don't leave the house without making yourself easily identifiable by carrying some stupid homemade signs or, if you don't have the time to make signs, a blood-encrusted machete.

  • On Monday night, a not-so-good thing happened that sort of nullified the good thing that happened early Saturday morning. I can't tell you what it was, because to do that I would have to tell you what the good thing was that happened Saturday morning, and I said I wasn't going to do that, and you can't make me. But I will say that it wasn't so bad, just the sort of thing that happens from time to time, and so you just shrug your shoulders and say "Like, whatever, man," and play a little Pole Position on your Namco 5-in-1 game controller, and before you know it you've set a new qualifying lap personal record of 54.10 seconds, and in all the excitement you practically forget about the not-so-good thing. Practically.

  • On Tuesday night, a good thing happened that built on the good thing that happened Saturday night and sort of nullified the not-so-good thing that happened Monday night, that is, the thing that sort of nullified the good thing that happened early Saturday morning. I can't tell you what any of these things are, of course, for reasons stated above. But I will say that I'll be spending Saturday afternoon preemptively washing the sheets.

+posted by Lawrence @ 1/05/2005 11:26:00 PM


+++++