Chaotic Not Random
Sunday, August 24, 2003

I took my car in yesterday to have some maintenance work done and it ended up costing me $1040.91. Yikes. That's about what I take home twice a month, and now it's just gone. I handed over my debit card, and a few electronic flashes later, 90 hours of work disappeared from my account. I wish I had gone to the bank and taken out $1040.91 in twenties and change to hand over -- then I could have handled the money, smelled it, spent a few last moments with it before I counted it out to Eric the Midas Guy.

Spending money on car repairs is especially depressing because all it gets you is the ability to drive around, which is what you were doing before anyway. If I had spent $1040.91 on books or clothes or a standup Galaga video game, I would be excited and happy. Don't give me your crap about not being materialistic, either -- everyone likes new stuff, including you.

So on the way home from the Midas dealership, I stopped off and did the rational, logical thing -- I spent more money. Specifically, I stopped at the bookstore and bought a book I've been wanting titled Moneyball for $26.75. Why not? I just spent $1040.91, for chrissake! Did I mention that the book is a hardcover? I never buy hardcovers. Virtually every hardcover I own was a gift from my rich aunt.

So I went to the coffee shop and ordered an iced mocha with whipped cream and some coffee cake and I read my new hardcover book. It made me feel better. You should try it sometime.

+posted by Lawrence @ 8/24/2003 10:11:00 PM


+++++