Chaotic Not Random
Sunday, August 31, 2003

I see ads when I watch television, or read a newspaper or magazine. I hear ads when I listen to the radio. The football stadium in my city is Invesco Field. The baseball stadium is Coors Field. The basketball/hockey arena is the Pepsi Center. When I surf the web I get hit with banner ads, pop-up ads, and an email inbox full of spam. Companies buy product placement in the movies I watch and the video games I play. I go to get the mail and come back with a fistful of credit card solicitations and other junk. I have to sign up for a no-call list to avoid getting a dozen telemarketing calls each day. There exists something called the "Insight.com Bowl." Billboards litter the landscape. When I pump gas, an ad on the pump handle informs me that candy bars are 3 for 99 cents. NASCAR... 'nuff said. Ads are stuck to the floor at the grocery store, spoken in pleasant tones over the sound system, and printed on the back of my receipt. An ESPN college football analyst casually refers to the late-December bowls as "Capital One Bowl Week". During the half-hour before movies, when people used to chat pleasantly, we are now shown continuous ads for soda and pop music. Blimps and airplanes pulling banners turn the heavens into ad space. A Super Bowl champion announces that he is going to Disneyland.

Am I worth anything beyond my ability to consume?

+posted by Lawrence @ 8/31/2003 04:42:00 AM


+++++